Otoplasty can correct a defect within the ear structure or it can treat misshapen ears caused by injuries. Ear surgery creates a more form, while bringing balance and proportion to the ears and face. Correction of even minor deformities can have profound beneﬁts to appearance and self-esteem.
Ear Surgery Candidates
Children who are good candidates for ear surgery in Turkey are:
- Healthy, without a life-threatening illness or untreated chronic ear infections
- Generally 5 years old, or when a child’s ear cartilage is stable enough for correction
- Cooperative and follow instructions well
- Ready to communicate their feelings and don’t voice objections when surgery is discussed
Teenagers and adults who are good candidates for ear surgery in Turkey are:
- Healthy individuals who don’t have a life-threatening illness or medical conditions that may impair healing
- Individuals with a positive outlook and specific goals in mind for ear surgery
How is Otoplasty Surgery Performed?
The most basic thing done in otoplasty surgery is to vary the form of the ear. Otoplasty surgeries are usually done to correct two main problems.
The first problem is that the angle of the ear with the pinnacle is quite it should be. This shows the ear further out. this example becomes more evident especially when viewed from behind. within the operations performed for this problem, strong stitches are going to be placed where the ear meets the pinnacle, and therefore the angle between the ear and also the head goes to be narrowed.
The second problem is that the folds that ought to be formed from the highest of the ear aren’t formed. The ear appears straight from the surface. within the operations performed to correct this problem, strong stitches are visiting be applied from the rear of the ear to the cartilage under the skin. The aim is to convert the straight ear image into a naturally curved ear image.
You can make a rehearsal ahead of the mirror to grasp how you’ll take care of the operation. If you’ve got the primary problem, press your ear from the center of the ear along with your fingertip before of the mirror. If you’ve got the second problem, you’ll be able to create natural folds by pressing the outer and upper edges of the ear. The image you acquire here will offer you an inspiration of the image you’ll get after surgery.
General Information About Otoplasty Surgery
- A cut is created right behind the ear during surgery. Since the incision is thrown behind the ear, no scar is visible after the procedure.
- The surgery is performed under local anaesthesia. But if desired, anesthesia can even be performed.
- There will be no stitch to be removed after surgery.
- The operation time is 1 – 1.5 hours on the average.
- There is no must stay within the hospital after surgery. you’ll be able to be discharged the identical day.
How old can this surgery be done at the earliest?
Otoplasty surgery is the operation which will be performed at the youngest age. It is done even for youngsters of grammar school age. the foremost important reason for this is often the actual fact that children are prominent and affect their psychology negatively.
The main reason for otoplasty surgery is that the patient wants to possess surgery done. If the operation goes to be for a baby under the age of 18, his opinion must first be obtained. it’s inconvenient to hold out this operation under the influence of his/her mother or father. Parents should definitely refer to their children before electing this surgery and may not force it if the kid isn’t ready for surgery.
Recovery After Otoplasty Surgery / Ear Surgery Recovery
Discomfort immediately following ear surgery is normal and may be controlled with pain medication. There is also an itchy feeling under bandages. it’s essential that bandages remain attached and not removed for any reason. Failure to try to to so may end in loss of a number of the correction and should require a second surgery.
- Recovery time after surgery is brief. however, It is often said that improvement takes place in about 1 week.
- It is not necessary to remain within the hospital after surgery. you’ll be able to be discharged within the same day.
- After about 2 – days, and then bathing will be done.
- Slight pain may occur for some days after the operation. So for this pain, painkillers are going to be given by the doctor.
- The ear may swell 3 – 7 days after the operation. That’s why this is often a brief situation.
- An average of two to 7 days the patient can return to figure.
- It is not recommended to try to to heavy sports immediately after the operation.
- If we don’t count the swelling, the ears will take their final shape after the operation. But it takes 4 – 6 weeks for the ears to urge their final shape.
Risks and Side Effects of Otoplasty Surgery
As with any surgery, there are some risks and side effects in otoplasty surgeries. a number of these side effects;
- Bleeding. the danger of bleeding exists in every surgery. But there’s no serious veins within the ear. For this reason, in otoplasty operations, bleeding can usually occur within the style of blood accumulation called hematoma.
- Infection is one among the complications that may occur. The cartilage of the ear is hardly inflamed. But when it becomes inflamed it progresses fast and might become an issue which will distroy the ears shape.
- Another problem which will arise after surgery is that the ears get too near the pinnacle.